Thursday, 18 May 2017

British heavy cruiser HMS Frobisher (D81) 1916-1919


Laid down at the Devonport Dockyard, England on 2 August 1916, launched on 20 March 1920, commissioned on 20 September 1924, refitted in 1926 and 1929, part of the reserve since November 1930, cadet’s training ship 1939-1939, laid up early 1939, refitted January 1940-1942?, depot ship for torpedo motor boats June 1944, converted into a cadets training ship after August 1944, sold to John Cashmore Ltd., Newport to be broken up on 26 March 1949 and arrived at Newport for that purpose on 26 March 1949.

Part of the Hawkins-class heavy cruisers consisting of the Effingham, Frobisher, Raleigh, Vindictive and Hawkins, succeeded by the County-class. Although it were heavy cruisers was the Hawkins-class in fact an modernized and enlarged Town-class subclass Birmingham light cruiser, In 1915 it became clear that light cruisers were not capable for a sufficient protected of the merchant shipping in distant areas. The heavy cruiser was a combination of a high speed, long range and heavy guns. Originally to be armed with an armament of 23,3cm/9.2” and 15,2cm/6” guns was decided regarded the experience in the First World War to choose for 19,1cm/7.5” guns. The Hawkins-class cruisers were in fact the prototype of what became the Washington 10.000 tons cruiser.

Displacement 9,750 (standard)-12.190 (full load) tons and as dimensions 565 (between perpendiculars)-605 (over all) x 58-65 (across bulges) x 17.25-20.5 feet. Crew numbered 690 (at peace)-800 (at war) men. Machinery consisted of Parsons geared steam turbines and 10 Yarrow-type oil fuelled water tube boilers supplying 70.000 shp allowing a speed of 30 knots. With a speed of 14 knots was the range 5.400 nautical miles. Oil bunker capacity 2.186 tons. The designed armament consisted of 7x1-7,5” Mark VI guns, 8x1-12pd quick firing Mk II 12cwt guns, 4x1-3” quick firing Mk I 20cwt guns and 6-21” torpedo tubes (2 submerged, 4 fixed surfaced). Armament when completed 7x1-7,5” Mark VI guns, 3x1-4”MkV guns, 4x1-3” quick firing Mk II guns, 2x1-2p Mk II quick firing guns and 6-21” torpedo tubes (2 submerged, 4 fixed surfaced). Armament after 1940 5-7.5” guns, 5-10,3cm/4” guns, 19-2cm Oerlikons and quadruple 2 pd pom-poms. Armour consisted of a 3,8cm/1.5”- 6,4cm/2.5” (fore)-7,6cm/3” (amidships)-3,83cm/1.5”-5,7cm/2.25” (aft thick main belt, a 3,8cm/1.5” (fore)-5,1cm/2” (amidships) thick upper belt, a main deck with a thickness of 2,5cm/1”-3,8cm1.5” above the engines and 2,5cm/1” above the steering gear with the main guns protected by shields with a thickness of 2,5cm/1” (crown+sides)-5,1cm/2” (face).